Published on April 2nd, 2022
The official website for the anime adaptation of the manga, written and illustrated by Akihito Tsukushi, Made in Abyss, a new key visual for the second season of the project was revealed, which will be titled “Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun.” They also confirmed that the 2nd season will premiere in July 2022.
The author of the series, Tsukushi began publishing the manga through Takeshobo ‘s Web Comic Gamma magazine in October 2012. The work inspired a 13 episode anime adaptation, produced by Kinema Citrus studios, under the direction of Masayuki Kojima and scripts written by Hideyuki Kurata, released in July 2017, followed by two compilation films and Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul, released in January 2020.
The three main cast members are returning, alongside several new cast additions:
- Shiori Izawa as Nanachi.
- Mariya Ise as Reg.
- Miyu Tomita as Riko
- Misaki Kuno as Faputa
- Yuka Terasaki as Vueko
- Hiroaki Hirata as Wazukyan
- Mitsuki Saiga as Belaf.
The production team includes:
- Masayuki Kojima (Black Bullet, Monster) is returning to direct at Kinema Citrus studios .
- Hideyuki Kurata (Goblin Slayer, Samurai Flamenco, Drifters) is returning to write and supervise the scripts.
- Kazuchika Kise (Blood-C, xxxHOLiC) is in charge of character design and animation direction.
- Kevin Penkin will once again be in charge of composing the soundtrack.
In an age when the corners of the world have been scoured for their secrets, only one place remains unexplored–a massive cave system known as the Abyss, filled with monstrous creatures and lost relics. Those who delve into its depths are known as Cave Raiders. A young orphan named Riko dreams of following in her mother’s footsteps as a Cave Raider, and when she meets a strange robot while exploring the Abyss, she is one perilous step closer to achieving her goal!
Source: Official website