On the official site for the anime adaptation of the light novels The Rising of the Shield Hero, a new promotional video for the second season of the project was published. The announcement also confirmed that the series is still scheduled for April 2022 release date. The video confirms that voice actress Kana Hanazawa will play the character Ost Horai.
A new key visual has been released for the second season. This second season was scheduled to premiere in the Fall-2021 season (October-December), but was delayed until the Spring-2022 season (April-June) due to “various unknown reasons”.
The Rising of The Shield Hero season 2 cast includes:
- Kaito Ishikawa as Naofumi Iwatani.
- Asami Seto as Raphtalia
- Rina Hidaka as Filo.
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Ren Amaki
- Makoto Takahashi as Motoyasu Kitamura.
- Yoshitaka Yamaya as Itsuki Kawasumi.
- Maaya Uchida as Melty
- Kikuno Inoue as Mirelia.
- Masato Jinbo is directing the anime at Kinema Citrus studios.
- Keigo Koyanagi (Made in Abyss, Hanasaku Iroha) is writing and supervising the scripts.
- Masahiro Suwa (Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume) is in charge of character design and animation direction in collaboration with Masahiro Suwa and Kota Sera.
- Kevin Penkin (Made in Abyss, Kami no Tou) is composing the soundtrack.
- The band MADKID returns from the first season to perform the opening theme song, with the single titled “ Bring Back ”, while singer Chiai Fujikawa returns from the first season to perform the ending theme song, with the single titled “ Yuzurenai (ゆずれない).
The Rising of the Shield Hero anime is based on a light novel series, which is written by Aneko Yusagi. He began publishing the novels through the Shousetsuka ni Narou service in 2012 and ended it in 2015. Later, Kadokawa began publishing them on paper with illustrations by Minami Seira in August 2013.
After their battle with Glass, Naofumi and his friends work to revitalize the Cal Mira islands before returning to the castle. On the ship back to Melromarc, they meet a young girl named Rishia, who claims to have been tricked and abandoned by her companions. Naofumi, sympathizing with her fate, agrees to listen to her story, and she joins the party. Eventually, Naofumi discovers that she has a talent for transformation magic, but before they can discuss it, someone comes running to beg the heroes for assistance. A monster wearing something like a turtle shell needs to be chased off. The monster is so powerful that even the mightiest adventurers cannot defeat him—so what hope is there for Naofumi? Those answers and more in volume 6 as the epic fantasy continues!
©2021 Aneko Yusagi / KADOKAWA / Shield Hero Production Committee S2